Saturday, May 01, 2010

Info Boards and more Halls

General photos of various information boards around Mainland & a few more halls. The Shetland Museum/Amenity Trust have placed 52 of the 'sail' shaped info boards around Shetland - rather than bag munro's i'll try & bag boards!! There are also lots of non 'sail' shaped boards

The info board overlooking the Houb of Scatsta looking towards Sullom Voe Terminal.

Info board commemorating the RAF Station at Sullom Voe - situated in the Rangatira Car Park, just before the entrance to Sullom Voe Terminal.

Mossbank Hall.

The Welcome Inn, Mossbank - built in 1949 and recently repainted.

Interpretive board for Dales Voe.

Dales Voe - as seen from the interpretive board.

T.M. Aidie & Sons interpretive board, overlooking Voe.

Voe, looking from the interpretive board.

South Nesting Public Hall.

The old Lime Kiln at Girlsta. Now owned by the Shetland Amenty Trust the large kiln was built by the Lerwick based merchants Hay & Company in 1872 to burn limestone in large quantities from the adjacent quarry. The kiln and the quarry provided work for many years for many men from the area. The lime that was produced was used as fertiliser and for building projects going on in Lerwick in the last part of the 19th century. It was shipped out from the pier below. The construction of the kiln is square, it tapers slightly upwards, and is strengthened by iron rods near the top. The back is set against the hillside. In the front is an arched opening that gave access to the furnace. Inside the kiln was lined with brick. Peat and coal in vast quantities were used to fuel the massive kiln. It was capable of burning 70 tons of limestone at a time, using 14 tons of coal and 10 tons of peat for fuel. The limeworks was in use until the 1930's.

Bressay Sound interpretive board - situated outside the Shetland Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here, all comments are moderated before publishing.